The Skin Cancer Foundation Media Award recognizes excellence in journalism that addresses skin cancer prevention, early detection and/or treatment.
The 2017 winner was announced at The Skin Cancer Foundation’s Champions for Change Gala, held October 17 at Cipriani 25 Broadway. Cosmopolitan magazine won for the article, “I’m a Derm – and I Got Skin Cancer” by Tula Karras. The award was accepted by the Cosmopolitan Chief Beauty Director, Leah Wyar Romito.
The 2017 Media Award entries were evaluated by Skin Cancer Foundation Senior Vice Presidents Ronald L. Moy, MD and Maritza I. Perez, MD as well as Skin Cancer Foundation editorial staff members. The entries were judged based on proficiency in writing, medical accuracy, the use of compelling visuals and how well social media efforts were used to further the article’s message.
Entries were narrowed down to five finalists who were invited to attend the Gala. In addition to the award and certificate of recognition, all finalists and the winner received a specially designed emblem graphic for use in-book, online and in any related PR and marketing initiatives.
The 2017 finalists
- Allure for “Are You Really Protected?” written by Jessica Chia
- Cosmopolitan for “I’m a Derm — and I Got Skin Cancer” written by Tula Karras
- Dr. Oz, The Good Life for “Your Real and True Guide to Sun Safety” written by Krista Bennett DeMaio
- NY Magazine, The Cut for “An Obsessive Australian's Guide to Sun Protection” written by Aimee Leabon
- Shape for “Spring Training for Your Skin” written by Tula Karras
The Skin Cancer Foundation will begin accepting submissions for the 2018 Media Award next summer. For more information, please contact Becky Kamowitz at email@example.com.