Highlights and Announcements from our 2016 Members and Friends Reception
The Skin Cancer Foundation hosted its annual members and friends reception on March 6 in Washington, DC during the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) Annual Meeting. The reception was held at the Newseum, an interactive museum of the news located on Pennsylvania Avenue.
Event highlights and announcements included:
- Ellen Frankel, MD and Dr. Marcia Robbins-Wilf were inducted into the Foundation’s Amonette Circle, a group of individuals and physicians who have made a lifetime commitment to skin cancer.
- $75,000 was rewarded in grants for research and clinical studies related to skin cancer. Learn more about this year’s award recipients.
- New members were inducted into the Foundation’s Robins Fund for the Advancement of Mohs Surgery and the Leonard Goldberg Fund for the Advancement of Mohs Surgery was introduced.
- The retirement of Photobiology Committee Chair Warwick L. Morison, MB, BS, MD, FRCP was announced. For the past 10 years Dr. Morison, a professor of dermatology at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, served as Chair of the Committee, a volunteer group of renowned photobiologists who review scientific data to determine whether a sun protective product is eligible for the Foundation’s Seal of Recommendation. Steven Q. Wang, MD, who has served on the Committee since 2006, was appointed as the new Committee Chair. Dr. Wang is the director of dermatologic surgery and dermatology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Basking Ridge.
- Dan Latore, formerly the Foundation’s Senior Director of Corporate Partnerships, was announced as the organization’s new Executive Director.
Gift bags for this year’s reception were generously provided by Shiseido.