We’re Committed to Your Privacy
Types of Personal Information that We Collect
When you engage with the Foundation or visit or use our online donation and sales systems, we collect a variety of information. The type of information we collect depends upon the nature of the interaction. We may collect personal information in the following ways:
- Contact Information and Demographics
We may collect your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number(s) and limited location information.
- Financial Information
If you make a donation to the Foundation or make a purchase through The Skin Cancer Foundation store, we will collect payment information such as your credit card number to process your transaction. We use a third-party payment service to process payments. We will retain your credit card information only for as long as necessary to process the transaction(s).
- Location, Web Behavior and Technology
We may capture the IP address and ID of the device you use to connect to the online service, the type of operating system and browser you use, and information about the site you came from, the parts of our online service you access, the type of mobile device you use and the site you visit next.
- Call Notes/ Recordings
If you call The Skin Cancer Foundation, we may take notes detailing the nature of the call and/or record the call for training and quality assurance purposes. The information contained in these transcripts will depend on what you voluntarily provide to the Foundation.
How We Use This Information
The Skin Cancer Foundation does not rent or sell any information about our subscribers and donors. We use the information that we collect in a number of ways, such as:
- Processing donations and purchase transactions
- Responding to your requests and communicating with you
- Managing your preferences
- Performing analytics concerning your use of our online services, including your responses to our emails and the pages and advertisements you view
- Providing you with tailored content and email messages
- Operating, evaluating and improving our programs (including developing new products and services; improving existing products and services; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions)
- Complying with and enforcing applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards, contractual obligations and our policies
- For any other purposes that we may specifically disclose at the time you provide or we collect your information
We may also use data that we collect on an aggregate or anonymous basis for various purposes, where permissible under applicable laws and regulations, to help deliver services and content that are better tailored to the users of our services and for other purposes.
How We Secure Data
We use a variety of security measures to protect your data. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to help prevent unauthorized access to and improper use of personally identifiable information.
We protect the security of credit card transactions using a number of measures such as encryption, access controls, network firewalls and physical security. These measures make it extremely difficult for anyone to intercept the credit card information you send to us. When we work with other companies to process credit card transactions, those companies also use encryption and other appropriate security measures.
No website or electronic data can ever be completely secure but we are always working to maintain up-to-date and appropriate security mechanisms.
Sharing of Personal Information
The Skin Cancer Foundation may need to share personal information with third parties in limited circumstances. For example, we may share your information with:
- Credit card processing companies to process your payments and donations
- Website host and/or web analytics provider
- Vendors for the purpose of providing customer support or fulfilling orders placed through our store
All third parties are expected to maintain the confidentiality of personal information and are not authorized to use personal information for any purpose other than providing those services. The Skin Cancer Foundation does not sell, rent or lease its mailing list to third parties.
Updating Your Information and Opting Out
You may update your contact information, determine your preferences or opt-in/opt-out online preferences by contacting the Foundation:
- Email our team at email@example.com
- Follow directions on a marketing e-mail communication from us
- Send a request to:
The Skin Cancer Foundation
205 Lexington Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10016
ATTN: Privacy Team
Links to Third-Party Websites
Although every effort is made to ensure that links to third party websites are to reputable sources, the Foundation does not control and is not responsible for the content or links that appear on these websites.
You can decide whether or not to accept cookies. One way you can do this is through your internet browser’s settings. Most browsers have an option for turning off cookies, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, as well as allow you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways. You can also delete all cookies that are already on your computer. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some services and functionalities may not work.
California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA)
- Request to access the personal information the Foundation has about you
- Request that the Foundation delete all of your personal information.
California users may make a request by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will authenticate your request using the email address associated with your constituent record and if necessary, proof of residency.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
Last updated: July 2020