Tips for Successful Fundraisers
The following tips and tricks will assist you in meeting and exceeding your fundraising goals.
- Compile a list of prospective donors: Make a list of possible donors and the ways that you can reach out to them. One in five Americans will develop skin cancer over the course of a lifetime. With so many people affected, you might not know how someone’s life has been touched by this disease, so don’t be shy about asking for support.
- Customize your personal fundraising page to share your story. Include a picture and text describing how skin cancer changed your life. Let people know why you are involved and what it means to you. Start crowdfunding.
- Make it personal: Draft a message telling your friends and family about how skin cancer has affected you, how they can help, and why you’re supporting The Skin Cancer Foundation’s important mission and programs.
- Spread the word: Fundraise with letters, emails, and social networking. Be sure to share a link to your personal fundraising page in all messages. Share your experience with skin cancer, post photos of your fundraising efforts, and explain how The Skin Cancer Foundation makes a difference.
- Follow up: You will be surprised by how eager your friends, family and co-workers will be to support your cause. However, since people are very busy and sometimes things slip through the cracks, send a follow-up message to individuals who have not had a chance to donate.
While setting up a fundraising page will certainly be a big part of your fundraising efforts, consider other ideas to raise funds before the event:
- Host a fundraising cocktail party
- Make and sell skin cancer awareness pins
- Fundraise outside a local store (be sure to get permission first)
- Have a community car wash
- Check to see if any of your donors’ employers match gifts from employees
- Ask a local restaurant to host a fundraising night
- Post fundraising flyers on local bulletin boards
- Organize a fundraising event at a local bar
- Ask Human Resources at work to organize “Casual Fridays” all month for those who make a weekly $5 donation